Re: Context menus

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Behan,
>
> I haven't noticed any right click menus in your design, so I thought I'd
> ask about them. I think it would be most helpfull to have some form of
> context sensitive menu for the tree display. Also, some of the items I
> wanted to have in the context menu are not yet (but I think ought to be)
> put into the main menus someplace..
>
>      Mark for Removal
>      Mark for Purging
>      Mark for Hold
>    * Mark for Installation
>    ----------
>      Hamm (3.14)
>    * Bo (2.2)
>
> The latter 3 are part of the 'targeted installs' we were talking about.  I
> am thinking you can make the package sticky to a dist (highest version in
> that dist and only that dist will be offered for install). 'Default' would
> be some kind of configurable algorithm..

Yes.  This is the kind of thing I was going to add eventually.  If you
need to plan for it now, then by all means!  Since they probably won't
appear in the slang versions, I had put of somethings like this. (As you
know I'm designing with both the X11 and slang versions).  I should add
them now though.

btw, just to remind you, in this new interface, there is no distinction
between remove and purge (I've always found that distinction
confusing).  They are both the same in deity.  All that happens is that
on a remove/purge, the confiles are stored in /var/backup/dpkg/<package>
and if the package is ever reinstalled, the old conf files can be
recovered from there.

Now since we seem to first be building a wrapper around the current
dpkg, I suggest these changes be requested of dpkg, but I still think
that deity should work towards a common backend library that handles all
things and deity and dpkg be simply possible front ends to this
library.  I like dpkg as a command line tool, but as the backend to a
more complicated GUI (in design, not useability), dpkg stinks!  Building
special GUI support funcions into a command-line tool is rediculous.
Although for the first version it seems that is what we are faced with.

Again, the concept of "hold" is unessesary.  By not upgrading to the
next version of a package there is an implicit hold placed on the
package by the user.

We don't need to keep poorly designed features of dselect if there are
better alternatives!

> Now, where should the latter 3 itmes go in the main menus (if at all).
> Also, what about purge?

There should be a "choose version" entry in the menus somewhere, but not
a bo/hamm entry.  We can put this kind of thing in a context sensitive
pop-up menu, but not in the main menu!

As for purge and hold, see above.

> I am uncertain how the 4 states and the install version should all work
> together, could you clarify that? (Unfortunately your spec doesn't have
> this target version idea yet :<)

It does, actually.  They have merely been condensed and called "delete",
"keep" and "install".  (Check the left hand column of the select screen.

Yes.  It should be clarified.

Drat!  We've been having computer problems here recently (all 9 of our
new computers are spontaneously rebooting, and all my work is suffering
I'm afraid).  I appologise for not getting back to you sooner.  I should
spend a little time each day on deity.  I shall start today at
lunchtime!

> FYI, the internal storage of each package has these kinds of fields
>    TargetVersion
>    TargetDist
>    Status (held, ok, etc)
> I don't know if TargetVersion has any use?

I'm sorry.  I'm not sure if understand what these field names mean (I
can guess, but would prefer to hear your definitions).  Thanks!

> Unfortunately 'www.verisim.com' is down tonight (I think the cvs server
> died off too :<) so I wasn't able to check if the above is already
> addressed.

Wierd.  At the time, I checked, and we had had no down time on that
machine (It's fortunately not one of the 9 who are rebooting of their
own accord!)  Perhaps it was a network outage?  In any case, I
appologise for it's lack of availablility!

I hope to not drop out of site quite so much.  Thanks for reminding me
about my deity responsibilities!

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com