Re: xkb-data: Changes to 'debian-unstable'

Hi David,

On Thu, Sep  3, 2009 at 07:50:03 -0400, David Nusinow wrote:

> Pasted from the dh_prep manpage:
>
> DESCRIPTION
>       dh_prep is a debhelper program that performs some file cleanups in
>       preparation for building a package. (This is what dh_clean -k used to
>       do.)  It removes the package build directories, debian/tmp, and some
>       temp files that are generated during the build. Putting this at the
>       start of the build process makes the build process idempotent.
>

> So the documentation talks about it as being for cleanups prior to
> building the package. Is there a reason this should go in the
> install target? It's entirely possible that there's some interaction
> between the Makefile targets that I'm missing that makes it optimal
> to add to the install target as well.

Building the package here means building the debs, aiui.  dh_prep
removes the debian/tmp and debian/$package directories, which are
created by make install and dh_install, so you'd call it right before
make install to remove any files remaining in case of calling
'debian/rules binary' twice in a row, without 'debian/rules clean' in
between.

> >Also, is there any particular reason for bumping the debhelper compat
> >level?  I've been holding off on moving to something > 5 unless I was
> >using the new dh stuff, so far.
>
> There's no major need, but I'd rather stay on top of it so we don't
> have to worry about updating it later when v5 becomes deprecated.
> Since no one seems to be particularly interested in backporting
> these X packages to the current stable it shouldn't cause any real
> problems. It's not a big deal though and if you'd rather stay at v5
> and above (v4 is currently deprecated) I'm fine with that.

Agreed that it's not a big deal, lenny has debhelper 7.0.15 anyway.  I'm
actually interested in the new options in debhelper 7.3 which could make
our rules files way simpler.  I've played with it a bit a while ago, see
http://git.debian.org/?p=users/jcristau/libx11.git;a=commitdiff;h=ca0bf64774deaa904570413062d8a4345f22ceda
for example (comments welcome, btw).

Cheers,
Julien