Re: console-setup + X = broken console

Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org> writes:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 14:38:35 -0500, Adam Majer wrote:
>> David Nusinow wrote:
>> > Please see http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide for the
>> > rationale and #515214 for more info.
>>
>> That is great, yet it does nothing for me except change fonts. I've read
>> the bug report, and it is just people complaining about Hal and
>> console-setup dependencies.
>>
> If there's no way to tell console-setup to not change fonts, then that
> probably can be fixed.  That doesn't mean we should drop the dependency.

It's already fixed:

console-setup (1.33) unstable; urgency=medium

  [ Colin Watson ]
  * Remove mention of long-dead devfs (closes: #524765).
  * Don't load a font if FONTFACE, FONTSIZE, and FONT are all unset.

>> Moving these packages to Recommends DOES NOT mean you need to support
>> input definitions in xorg.conf!
>>
> It means that installs without hal and console-setup ought to work.
> They don't.

I assume you meant that they don't work out of the box?  They can
certainly be made to work, given configuration.

Systems working out of the box by default are nice, but I fail to see
why the auto-configuration should be forced onto the administrators.  It
could be made optional and still kept as default.

> So I don't think moving these packages to recommends would
> do anyone any good (except for the warm fuzzy feeling for some whiners,
> which I'm happy to ignore).

Moving hal and console-setup to Recommends would not change anything for
a default installation, but would provide a choice for those whiners.
It's a win-win.

Bjørn