Re: uploading xserver-xorg-input-synaptics [was Re: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics: Changes to 'upstream']

Mattia Dongili wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 10:04:49AM +0200, Julien Cristau wrote:
>> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 08:08:43 +0900, Mattia Dongili wrote:
>>
>>> Later tonight (JST), if nobody objects, I'd like to upload a new
>>> xserver-xorg-input-synaptics based on the current upstream code of the
>>> 1.1 branch.
>> Sounds good!

ACK.

> Excellent, let's figure out a good wording for the NEWS file and I'll
> upload it.

Yeah, I wrote the NEWS entry in order to give users some sort of
documentation, but since I don't use synaptics myself it's definitely a
suboptimal entry.

>>> xserver-xorg-input-synaptics (1.1.1~git20090510-1) unreleased; urgency=low
>>>
>>>   [ David Nusinow ]
>>>   * Add NEWS.Debian entry about enabling tapping again (closes: #497523)
>> I think it'd be nice if the NEWS entry explained how to do this with
>> synclient rather than xorg.conf / hal.
>
> The disadvantage with synclient is that the configuration is not
> persistent.
>
>> The xorg.conf way probably needs things like a ServerLayout section, and
>> I'm not sure how well it'll keep working.  And fdi is not quite a nice
>> config file format.  Or we could point at gpointing-device-settings,
>> since that has been accepted in the archive now.
>
> How about showing the synclient command line and pointing at the
> existing documentation for how to configure hal/xorg.conf?
> Something along the lines of:
>
>   * Tapping has been disabled by default on many touchpads by upstream.
>     If you want to re-enable it, you can do so from within the X
>     environment by running the following commands in a terminal:
>
> 	$ synclient TapButton1=1
> 	$ synclient TapButton2=2
> 	$ synclient TapButton3=3
>
>     Note that the configuration will not be permanently modified, to do
>     so please read the documentation about how to set up your xorg.conf
>     file in the synaptics(4) manpage or in
>     /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics.
>     Another alternative is to use desktop environment specific tools
>     like gpointing-device-settings or touchfreeze.
>
> Thoughts?

This sounds good to me, although it might be a good idea to write either
a section in the manpage devoted to setting this up and pointing users
to that section in the NEWS file (e.g. "Please see the section "Tapping"
in your xorg.conf) so that users don't have to crawl through the entire
manpage for what's very likely going to be a common thing.

Another option is a separate document slipped in to
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, but I think a manpage
section that can be pushed upstream would be better.

 - David Nusinow