Re: acecad 1.2.0 in debian unstable

On Mon, 2007-05-14 at 22:01 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
> On 5/12/07, Drew Parsons <dparsons@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hello Giuseppe,
> >
> > I uploaded your new version of the X acecad input driver to debian
> > unstable.  Could you verify it works well enough?
>
> Seems to work correctly, thanks.

Good news :)

> > You mentioned in the other bug about Recommending libsysfs.  Could you
> > file a separate bug if you still think it's needed, so we can get the
> > idea peer-reviewed.  For instance, where you said to Recommend:
> > libsysfs-dev, I think you meant Build-Depends: libsysfs-dev?  Also, I
> > want to be sure it won't break things on kernels which haven't compiled
> > sysfs.
>
> libsysfs-dev should be recommended for building the package, yes. I'm
> not sure if libsysfs itself should be Suggested or Recommended for the
> precompiled package: it's used by the automatic device detection code
> to simplify and speed up detection, but it's not necessary, and the
> feature works without it too.

The libsysfs dependency will be dragged in automatically if we build
against libsysfs-dev, so that shouldn't be a problem

(unless people start complaining their installation is getting bloated
for pulling in libraries when they don't use sysfs, but at 80 bytes I
think the libsysfs2 package isn't really going to bust their system).

> Also, there should be no problem if the kernel is compiled without
> sysfs, because all return values from the libsysfs calls are checked
> before attempting data retrieval/use.

OK, sounds like it should be safe to build the sysfs support into the
driver in that case.

Thanks for the feedback,

Drew