Re: Debian XSF SVN to git migration

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 02:16:23PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 15:29 -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> >
> > Ok, after talking to several people, I think we've settled on a good option
> > that allows the flexibility we're all after. I've taken a first stab at
> > documenting it on the wiki: http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/git-usage
> >
> > By separating the packaging and the upstream source, and then merging them
> > to actually build the package, we gain pretty much all the flexibility we
> > want at the cost of a small amount of complexity. It also makes it easy to
> > just pull changes, which is really the model of development that git is set
> > up for.
>
> Right, I've always advocated one branch per tracked upstream branch and
> per Debian upload target, so I definitely like that aspect. However, I'm
> not sure having completely separate packaging branches with only the
> packaging files is feasible. Have you figured out a way to fork several
> branches from the initial empty repository, or otherwise to manage
> branches with completely disjoint filesets?
>
> Also, it doesn't make sense to me to special-case the branch for sid,
> with a suggestion how to make it consistent with the other branches. I
> think it should be the other way around; consistent by default, possibly
> with a suggestion how to make it inconsistent if preferred.

After discussing this with Michel on irc, it doesn't look like it'll be
possible to use git the way I had written down. I've revised the policy
based on what Michel and I discussed[0].

It's much simplified, and basically behaves as you expect it to. If you
want to work on bleeding edge stuff from upstream, just pulling from the
debian* branch should give you the packaging. We believe it won't overwrite
local changes if you've cloned from, say, freedesktop.org because the
history should be intact.

The one weird thing is that there's no master branch by default, nor is
there an upstream branch, both of which git-buildpackage expects by default. It's trivial to locally create those branches depending on what you're doing though.

I'm going to wait a little while longer to see what everyone thinks. I want
to make sure everyone is back from holidays and had a chance to chew this
over before we make the move.

 - David Nusinow

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/git-usage