Re: video driver via cn700

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 03:00:40PM +0100, robvos wrote:
> Dear Mr.Verhaegen,
>
> We all have an problem with _them_
> I asked _them_ guess what!
> I have no funding to support you, maybe in the future.
>
> Kind Regards
>

> Rob Vos
> ps. Do not let the narrow minded get you.

Hrm... You asked some via representative about the lack of decent
support for the cn700 and he/she said that they had a problem with
x.org?

Ah yes, you asked me what it would take to develop CN700 support, 2days
after that mail to debian-x. No VAT number means: I'm sorry, I can't do
anything about it at this time. Please return your board and buy
something that comes with hardware from a vendor that does support free
software.

As for the narrow minded: my way of dealing with VIA gets little
appreciation from the community at large. This is understandable,
but i sadly have no other option. They pull the same tactics in private
as in public; you either get ignored completely or they feed you a
different story every other day. At least in public there is nowhere to
hide, as VIA wouldn't half love to be able to ignore all of this right
now.

So do help put pressure on VIA, they shouldn't get away with an "oh,
sorry, here's some source" this time. DRI source (closed for a bit now)
needs be reinstated, and then there's libddmpeg.so that's been sitting
in their "open source" package since the initial release. They are
either in or out, but it should be clear which is in and which is out,
so that people can make hardware purchases accordingly.

Luc Verhaegen.