Re: last chance to do something about discover1 etc: I give up

Hello David,

Am 2006-09-09 10:08:27, schrieb David Nusinow:

>    My plan for some time now has been to fix this in
> the future. Not in the far future though, it's my
> major release goal for etch+1. A great deal of the
> necessary work is in development upstream to make this
> happen. Daniel Stone is working on input device
> hotplugging and Intel and Redhat both are working on

Perfectly...

> monitor autoconfiguration. I plan to write the
> necessary code to remove the dependency on discover if

To this I have a question:

I am Debian GNU/Linux Consultant and Systemadministrator and have
to maintain arround 1500 Workstations with arround 600 different
configurations at over 440 customers (de, fr, es, ma, tr, ir).

If "X.org" depends on "discover" (which gaved me heavy problems on
over 80% of the installed systems) does this mean, do I have to
blacklist the whole Kernel-Module tree except for the graphiccards?

And if YES, HOW TO blacklist a whole Kernel-Module Tree?

And NO, it is not possibel for me to compile 600 different Kernels
for all configurations...

And YES, I use a monolytic Kernel on my OWN systems and "discover"
output tonns of errors even the modules are already loaded since
they are in the Kernel.

> it's not done before I get to it. I also plan to move
> the xresprobe logic in to the server as necessary.
> These changes are in the works and will be ready for
> etch+1. I simply can not get them to you for etch
> though.

Good luck!

>    As for your proposed solutions, if there is no
> other option I would rather we ship xresprobe and
> discover in base. I realize that it's bloat, but they
> are both small apps, and we could disable discover1's
> init script so that it doesn't slow down people's boot

And does not try to load the whole Kernel-Module tree?
Your Word in God's ear!  -  I hope it will work.

> Please let me know what you think and how I can help
> out more. I'm sorry I'm not able to make these changes
> right now, but I do promise to resolve this issue in
> the next release cycle when things are calmer in X
> development land.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)