Re: Source package naming

On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 08:45:21PM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> Is there a particular reason for this? I've tried searching the debian-x
> archives but I can't see it.

Purely historical reasons: the binary package is named
xserver-xorg-video-foo to have a clear lineage from xserver-xorg.

> I have xf86-video-ivtvdev_0.10.6.orig.tar.gz and I'm wondering if I
> should repack/rename it before upload (well, before searching for a
> sponsor ;-)).

I guess the only real reason now is consistency with the rest.  elmo
once said on IRC that the binary namespace is reasonably tightly
regulated and was very sensible, but the source package namespace was a
festering mess with a sign out the front saying 'here be dragons'. :)

Cheers,
Daniel