Re: 7.1 protos up-to-date in experimental - ready for unstable?

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 10:53 +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 14:37 +1000, Drew Parsons wrote:
> >
> > If we're happy to live without xf86rushproto, then can we now bring the
> > outstanding experimental proto packages across to unstable?
>
> Not without dealing with at least one issue, I think: Anyone remember
> what happened when David accidentally uploaded packages built against
> x11proto-fixes-dev 4.0, then people tried running the binaries against
> libxfixes3 1:3.0.x? I think the x11proto-fixes-dev Conflicts:
> libxfixes-dev probably needs bumping to (<< 1:4.0) or similar, etc.

Oh OK.  You're saying that there are packages which will use the new
xfixes4 symbols if they're available (according to x11proto-fixes-dev),
but otherwise compile fine without under xfixes3?   I had been assuming
that the only thing using the new symbols was the new libraries and
xserver, so I assumed this wouldn't be a problem.  Can you remember
which package exactly was the troublemaker?

If libraries need to be strictly synced with their protos, then, going
down the list of protos, we're still waiting in experimental (if not
unstable) for
	libx11 1.0.1  (which I assume matches x11proto-core)
	libxcomposite 0.3
	libxdamage 1.0.3
	libxevie	1.0.1
	libXfontcache	1.0.2 (not in Debian at all yet, maybe not so crucial?)
	libxkbfile	1.0.3, 		libxkbui 1.0.2
	libXrandr	1.1.1
	libXScrnSaver 1.1.0  (not in Debian at all yet!)
	libxxf86dga	1.0.1

> > p.s. in case you're wondering why I'm in such a rush to get 7.1 from
> > experimental to unstable, some serious improvements have been made in
> > drivers (especially i810) which I'd like to see as soon as possible.
>
> While it should be possible to use the current xf86-video-intel with
> xorg-server 1.0, as Daniel pointed out, there's no question that moving
> to 7.1 would rid us of a lot of upstream issues.

I followed Daniel's nice suggestion and built i810 1.6.1.  I hadn't
bothered earlier since I knew one of the fixes we need the 7.1 xserver
for is to get 3d acceleration working (and to get that we need mesa
6.5).   But apart from that, 1.6.1 seems to be working fine.  3d
acceleration is still broken (just as it's broken under current 1.5.1),
giving "ERROR!  sizeof(I830DRIRec) does not match passed size from
device driver", but otherwise the driver is happy.

I can therefore suggest upgrading xserver-xorg-video-i810 immediately to
1.6.1 on account of the fixes to power management (I understand it fixes
a freeze which occurs occasionally after a suspend-resume cycle).

Drew