Re: [pkgsel] Add xresprobe, discover and laptop detect for hw detection

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 08:32:36PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> However, this does sort of suck since with 2.6 kernels, there is no
> other need for discover1, since we're using udev now. It would be nice
> if X could use some other method than discover, or if there were a way
> to install discover w/o having it probe stuff at boot, since its added
> probes are an added way for things to go wrong and an added hurdle to
> jump when things do.

Killing discover is at the top of my list for xserver hacking projects once
I get modular in to Debian.

> BTW, since xserver-xorg can't depend on this stuff, it would be really
> helpful if the X maintainers would let me know when they add uses of
> tools like this, so tasksel can be adapted to make them available.

Will do, but my goal is to not add any more but instead to eliminate them
all so we only need the server itself. This isn't on the TODO list until
after 7.0 goes in to testing though.

 - David Nusinow