Re: x11-common not in /etc/init.d causes KDE 3.5 to crash!!!

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 04:50:54PM -0800, marcora@caltech.edu wrote:
> Dear Fabio,
>
> I would like to report a "bug" which I think relates to the X11-common
> package. I installed a Debian Sid system from scratch and the ran
> aptitude install x-window-system. Everything works fine with Fluxbox.
> But if I install KDE (3.5) then it crashes when loading "Peripherals"
> without any apparent error on the part of the xserver. Other people are
> having this problem
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2006/01/msg00085.html> which is
> caused by x11-common not installing the /etc/init.d/x11-common file. In
> this script the .ICE-unix directory is set up with root as owner.
> Without it .ICE-unix is set up with the normal user as owner, which
> causes the crash. This is a pretty annoying and serious bugs for
> newbies like me who would like to install a modern kde/xorg based
> debian system without having to mess around with init level scripts
> etc.

1) This is a known bug in the package version you downloaded and has
already been fixed. Please learn to use http://www.bugs.debian.org

2) Newbies who aren't willing to get bit by bugs should not install sid.

3) Fabio has had nothing to do with the Xorg releases in Debian.

 - David Nusinow