Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r956 - in branches/modular/driver/xf86-video-ati: . debian

On Tue, 2005-12-20 at 18:22 +0100, David Martínez Moreno wrote:
> El martes, 20 de diciembre de 2005 17:23, David Nusinow escribió:
> > > 	On the other hand, I understand that this heavy separation leads to
> > > individual per-driver packages, doesn't it?
> >
> > Yeah, it does. The problem is obviously a lot more labor at this stage, but
> > the benefit is that we can do quicker builds, tests, and deployments. We
> > can also let our users only install their required drivers if they wish.
> > It's a pain, but with proper scripting it shouldn't be a huge deal.
> > Daniel's already written a script to update each package's source and we
> > can adapt it for our tree if need be.
>
> 	Then we will start to receive bug reports by users without the right driver,
> isn't it? Probably a massive drivers-all metapackage will be a mid-term
> solution...

Why only mid-term? Something like xserver-xorg depending on
xorg-video-drivers | xorg-video-driver (with every video driver package
providing xorg-video-driver and xorg-video-drivers being the metapackage
depending on all of them) seems like a pretty good solution to me. The
same principle should work with the other classes of drivers as well.