Re: [decision] new patch management system in xorg-x11

On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 03:59:41PM -0700, Keith Packard wrote:
> All we're really pressed to provide is an X server, so the library and
> application modularization isn't necessary today.
> As soon as the core server is modularized, transitioning individual
> drivers can be massively parallelized.

As soon as this is ready to begin being packaged, I plan to work on it,
hopefully in tandem with Daniel (even if it means I have to deal with baz,
which hopefully I can get a grip on this time). Everyone will have to bear
with me again, as I still have a ton to learn.

> I suggest just providing new packages which permits existing packages to
> remain in place so that people can choose until the new packages are
> proven.

I'd rather do this by putting the modular packages in to experimental until
we're sure they're ready. That's part of the rationale for wanting to get
the 6.8.2 monolithic packages in to unstable as soon as I can.

> The size of the delta from Debian X to anything ever shipped from
> upstream means that we will have a significant transition effort in any
> case.  Allowing people  to choose when they are afflicted by this pain
> will avoid the worst of the problems.

I very much want to minimize this delta in the future, but for now I agree.

 - David Nusinow