Re: ANNOUNCE: Debian packages of modular xlibs CVS

[I'm subscribed; no need to CC me.]

Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 11:59 -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
>>I have created Debian packages of all the components in modular xlibs
>>CVS.  These also include packages of the X C Binding (XCB) and
>>interchangeable packages of Xlib with and without XCB as the transport
>>layer.
>
> I think libx11-xcb-dev should provide libx11-dev though. Without that,
> you can't switch to libx11-6-xcb with anything installed that depends on
> libx11-dev.

That is indeed an issue, but libx11-xcb-dev can't provide libx11-dev.
If it did, then applications build-depending on libx11-dev might get
libx11-xcb-dev and libx11-6-xcb, build against them, and end up with a
"Depends: libx11-6-xcb" rather than "Depends: libx11-6 | libx11-6-xcb".
 (Applications which build against libx11-6-xcb might be using the XCB
interoperation functionality in xcl.h such as XCBConnectionOfDisplay, so
the shlibs for the XCB version specify a dependency on libx11-6-xcb.)

I'd love to hear any suggestion on how to fix this problem.

One possible solution Jamey Sharp and I are considering as XCB upstream
is to split the XCB-specific bits into a separate library, such as
libX11-XCB.so, to attempt to ensure that either libX11.so would work;
then both shlibs files could specify both libraries as possible
dependencies, but the shlibs for libX11-XCB.so would require libx11-xcb1
which would depend on libx11-6-xcb.  However, this still wouldn't solve
the problem of static linking, nor would it solve the problem that
libX11-XCB still needs to poke at libX11 in ways only possible with the
XCB version of libX11.

The other solution is that after sarge is released, I could get the
handful of -dev packages that depend directly on libx11-dev to change
that dependency to libx11-dev | libx11-xcb-dev.

The long-term solution is that XCB will become the default transport for
libX11, and the two parallel sets of packages can just go away.

>>If you find any issues with these packages other than those listed in
>>the known issues section of the README, please report them to me.
>
> I also think the packages that don't contain any binaries should be
> Architecture: all.

Will fix soon; thanks.  (I hadn't yet dug through and figured out which
headers were arch-independent.)

>>Do not report bugs in these packages to the Debian bug-tracking system.
>
> You could take care of reportbug users at least via /usr/share/bug/ .

I've already taken care of reportbug users via a Bugs: field in the
control file.

> P.S. I can provide powerpc binaries if you're interested.

That would be great; I'll need to set up my repository to handle
multiple architectures first, though.  (I was thinking of switching to
mini-dinstall or similar anyway.)

- Josh Triplett