Re: oprofile on Xorg HOWTO ?

On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 01:40:58PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> The symbols are in /usr/lib/debug/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libfb.so .
> opreport picks up symbols from other libraries
> in /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/ automatically here, but others have reported
> gdb not picking up the X server symbols either. If anyone has any idea
> about what's going on here, please speak up!

So I've spent the past hour or two hammering away at this. Here's what I've
found:

 1) The files all appear to be correctly compiled with -g in the build_tree
    dir
 2) None of the files are stripped in this dir after the build is done.
    "file" confirms this, as does the size of the thing (libX11 is 9 megs
	in build_tree but the stripped version on my system is 860k or so).
 3) The file with the debugging symbols is only 4k. Where'd those 8 megs
    go?
 4) objdump -g on any of the files in build_tree can't find the debugging
    info.

At first I thought it was a problem with dh_strip, but now I'm thinking
that it's an issue with binutils. If anyone else can offer any insight to
this, it'd be much appreciated, since I don't know much about the details
of debugging symbols. I'll probably send a bug to binutils very soon about
this so we can figure out what's going on.

 - David Nusinow