Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r135 - trunk/debian

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 11:28:16AM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 01:03:45AM +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > So, the autoconfig in X.Org is, uhm, interesting.  The best results I've
> > seen from any system have been from my meticulously hand-tweaked Debconf
> > scripts, based from xserver-xfree86's Debconf stuff.  The major
> > difference with mine, apart from using xresprobe and the like, is that a
> > lot of the md5sum insanity has gone.
>
> Yeah, I've kept your re-worked scripts in the X.org packaging so far. I'll
> probably start messing with them more as time goes on and bug reports come
> in, but it's a relatively low priority for me. I need to take a closer look
> at how you re-worked the md5sum stuff, but from what I saw it looks like a
> good balance. New users are really confused when the md5sum thing gets in
> the way. I may want to provide a debconf question saying "Your file has
> been modified by hand. Are you *sure* you want to edit it?" If they answer
> yes, I would back up the hand modified file so as not to lose it and allow
> the packaging stuff to re-do the config. From the way users behave in
> #debian, this seems to be what they want and expect.

Sure.  Currently, if you run sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg, the
assumption is that doing anything else than rewriting the config file --
doubly so if it doesn't actually say anything -- is utterly bizzare and
should be avoided at all costs.  So it backs it up and tells you where.
But a Debconf question would also be nice.

> > Long-term, it absolutely needs to go.  Short-term, it should not be a
> > priority over, say, actually getting xorg into the archive this
> > century.
>
> Agreed. Priority number one is getting sarge out the door, followed by
> getting X.org in to unstable, but not before etch is in the works and we
> can start to gleefully break stuff :-)

experimental!  experimental!