Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r135 - trunk/debian

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 10:30:53AM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 11:59:23PM -0500, X Strike Force SVN Repository Admin wrote:
> > +* Burn xserver debconfage to the ground, redesign and reimplement, taking into
> > +  account the many lessons of the past 5 years (and hopefully leveraging the new
> > +  "autoconfiguration" code in the XOrg X server).
>
> My goal is to push as much of this stuff in to the server as possible,
> leaving as little for our scripts to do as we can. I know it'll be possible
> to do things like heuristics for monitor resolutions in the server, the
> code just needs to be written. During this process, if pieces of the old
> debconfage can simply be removed as they become unnecessary.
>
> Once we have a functional and up to date X.org in Debian I'm going to begin
> work on this. If we want to re-write the current debconf stuff during this
> process, that's definitely feasible too.

So, the autoconfig in X.Org is, uhm, interesting.  The best results I've
seen from any system have been from my meticulously hand-tweaked Debconf
scripts, based from xserver-xfree86's Debconf stuff.  The major
difference with mine, apart from using xresprobe and the like, is that a
lot of the md5sum insanity has gone.

Long-term, it absolutely needs to go.  Short-term, it should not be a
priority over, say, actually getting xorg into the archive this
century.