Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r19 - trunk/debian

On Sat, Mar 19, 2005 at 03:26:53PM +0100, Jonas Gall wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:20:21 +1100, Daniel Stone <daniel@fooishbar.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 05:11:08PM +0100, Jonas Gall wrote:
> > > XOrg and the Xprint tree are identical since a while. So why is Xprint
> > > not build as part of the Debian XOrg tree?
> >
> > In general, the principle of modularisation is a sound one.  I'm not
> > entirely convinced that I agree with it here (due to Xprint's
> > development status and roadmap),
>
> Can you list some points here or is that just some smoke again?

Xprint upstream seem to be moving to using either X.Org HEAD or the
XPRINT branch in xc as their head of development, so we would not
actually be tracking the upstream head of development if this was the
case.

> > but in general, splitting stuff out is good.
>
> Not if this damages interoperability.

How could it possibly damage interoperability?

> > Think about it: every time someone makes a minor change to the Radeon
> > driver, people have to download all the fonts and documentation again.
>
> What has this issue to do with loadable driver modules? Nothing.

I'm talking about modularisation in terms of having separate source
packages, which is the issue being discussed.

> > > The separation calls for
> > > trouble as the functionality of the Xprt server will be integrated
> > > into the Xorg server and the print modules become loadable  server
> > > modules.
> >
> > Eventually.  Maybe.
>
> The patches are available. They just need to be put into the XOrg CVS
> and the work is done.

Really?  That's certainly not the impression I've been getting from
the upstream Xprint guys, who, in a thread about this on an upstream
mailing list, have been discussing the *possible* *design*.

> > If it does, it is very far in the future.
>
> Who claims that this is far in the future? The patches are available
> *now* and they are *working*.

If this is so, why are they not merged, or even proposed for a merge?

I think this is irrelevant for debian-x now anyway, and I can't say I
have any interest in arguing with hostile parties in any case.