Re: X Strike Force X.Org X11 SVN commit: r30 - trunk/debian

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 06:53:31AM +0100, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> I know exactly why you are changing the building system, but i think we
> could handle it in a slightly different way. Having apply/unpatch running
> always on tree is a PITA and often leads to mistakes/problems that will
> leave the tree unuseable. I suggest to keep the patches always applied
> and each time we add one, store it in debian/patches in correct sequence.

That is in fact what I'm trying to do.  It's not my intention that the
apply-patches or revert-patches targets in the rules file ever be invoked
(even indirectly) by any package-building rule (such as those invoked by
dpkg-buildpackage).

I admit that I don't yet have any comments documenting the targets to make
that clear.  Sorry about that.

> If we need to recreate the patched tree, we can use the orig and apply
> the patches, but please don't make it easy to trash the tree :)

As we discussed on IRC a few days ago, I have a few criteria I'd like a
patch management system to satisfy.  I'll start a new thread on -x to
solicit feedback on this.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It was a typical net.exercise -- a
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    screaming mob pounding on a greasy