Re: ATI and SiS users: please test SVN trunk

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 01:54:19PM +0200, Björn wrote:
> fre 2004-05-21 klockan 09.07 skrev Branden Robinson:
> > On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 02:53:24PM +0200, Björn Nitzler wrote:
> > > Good afternoon, a brief test report. following the nice instructions it builds
> > > fine. libx11-dev fails to install properly though.
> >
> > Can you describe this problem, please
>
> well i had an up to date as of yesterday install of debian unstable, and
> besides my usual fix of packages ;) i had done an apt-get install
> kde-devel so x devel packages was installed and when i did the dpkg -iO
> *.deb stuff it failed on that package. fixed it by apt-get -f install
> and it then removed some of the devel packages. 4 of them if i remember
> correct.Can't check the version at my machine for the moment but i have
> a vague remeberance of some strange versioning combination in one of the
> devel packages.

I'm afraid this is insufficient information for us to do much about the
problem.

> > > my platform is i386 (athlon) on a via chipset.  graphic card is a
> > > radeon 7500 (rv200qw) DRI and OpenGL 3d works fine.  tried playing
> > > return to castle wolfenstein and run glxgears.Have been running it
> > > since early this morning.  XVideo works fine.everything seem normal to
> > > me.
> forgot to mention that opengl screensavers still flickers badly.

Michel Dänzer would probably advise you to try the unofficial
xlibmesa-dri-trunk packages[1].  :)

> > Hmmm, so this broke with XFree86 4.3.0 but didn't get worse on the SVN
> > trunk?
>
> That would be correct, one odd fact is (have been wrestling a bit with
> this card since i bought it when xfree86 announced full 3d support and
> released it with half broken xvideo and a hard hanging rtcw game;).
> long rambling.. just ignore. The funny fact is that the card works
> perfect with both those games and all other stuff i have tried if i ran
> the cvs debian packages from michael däenzer at the DRI site. and as a
> side note since im already testing lots of stuff this week is that
> Fedora's xorg packages also works fine.

Fedora's using a newer (and different) upstream than we are.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~daenzer/

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       If we believe absurdities, we
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       shall commit atrocities.