Re: problem with left-handed mouse on X - is GPM to blame or is it X?

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 04:10:18PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 10:14:32AM +0300, Martin-?ric Racine wrote:
> > 1) The information about using GPM's -B option is incorrect.  As you can see
> > from the enclosed configs, I already use -B 321, but this is ignored by X.
>
> Zeph, can you comment on this?
>
> Is -B 321 really broken, or only broken for the "raw" repeat type?  I
> think I can imagine why it might not work for the "raw" repeat type.

> > Honnestly, the correct action would be for X to follow the button order
> > configured for GPM.  I really wonder why that fails.
>
> If you use the "raw" repeat type, there may be no way it *can* work.
>
> Zeph, can you help clear up this issue?

Please see the last message, where I covered just this.

Raw mode repeats byte for byte, it does not attempt to do ANYTHING to
them.

In addition, he is repeating a PS2 protocol, with all the problems
involved in that.

I will say it once more, this is a case of user error.

The proper configuration for this is having gpm not repeat, and both X
and gpm reading from /dev/input/mice, with X doing some button
remapping in whatever manner is now suggested.

If 'xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"' is no longer the suggested means, what
is?

--
	1024D/E65A7801 Zephaniah E. Hull <warp@babylon.d2dc.net>
	   92ED 94E4 B1E6 3624 226D  5727 4453 008B E65A 7801