Re: Re-debconfage

On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:32:36AM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:06:09PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > I would also hope to see an X config that did more autoconfiguration,
> > perhaps by using X --config, if that actually mostly works in newer versions
> > of X.
> It does, but it's under the X-Oz license, and last I looked, we weren't
> even 100% sure that was DFSG-compliant.

For those following from home, here it is: http://www.x-oz.com/licenses.html

To me, it looks Ok. I'm a bit unsure about item 3, but it doesn't strike
me as actually conflicting with the DFSG. Opinions on this? Branden?

> But yes, in general, X should be able to work without a config file. If
> you want to tune stuff (and most people will), have a config file, but
> it should be able to function without one.

Well... I don't think anyone wants the default stuff, although I'd
imagine that more people would be happy with vesa than they realize ;-)

As a side note, I'd love to have the same debconf code for both the
xfree and the freedesktop packages. Does the config file layout for the
freedesktop server differ much from the xfree one?

 - David Nusinow