Re: Re-debconfage

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:06:09PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> This is the ugliest specal case in base-config for any package, and I would
> love to remove it. if you are redesigning the X config tool, please consider
> putting it in a package that depends on read-edid and mdetect, and deferring
> the configuration to the postinst. Preconfiguration is not worth the pain.
>
> I would also hope to see an X config that did more autoconfiguration,
> perhaps by using X --config, if that actually mostly works in newer versions
> of X.

It does, but it's under the X-Oz license, and last I looked, we weren't
even 100% sure that was DFSG-compliant.

But yes, in general, X should be able to work without a config file. If
you want to tune stuff (and most people will), have a config file, but
it should be able to function without one.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org