Re: Re-debconfage

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 07:06:09PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> This is the ugliest specal case in base-config for any package, and I would
> love to remove it. if you are redesigning the X config tool, please consider
> putting it in a package that depends on read-edid and mdetect, and deferring
> the configuration to the postinst. Preconfiguration is not worth the pain.

So if the package depends on read-edid and mdetect and it configures it
in the postinst, this will guarantee that read-edid and mdetect will be
present and usable? I've not had to unravel the complexities of
postinst before. I'd also love to get the hack out of base-install. In
fact, along with the MD5SUM hack, I'd love to get rid of all the hacks
in the system right now. If there are more that I'm not aware of, please
bring them up!

> I would also hope to see an X config that did more autoconfiguration,
> perhaps by using X --config, if that actually mostly works in newer versions
> of X.

That's a great idea I hadn't thought of. The more we get away from extra
tools, the better. I've also heard rumors that mice will be autodetected
in 4.4 (if we ever see it in Debian) so that would potentially kill one
more dependency in the long run.

 - David Nusinow