Re: dri_util.c:157: warning: pointer targets differ in signedness.

On Wed, 2004-12-29 at 17:46 -0800, Mike Mestnik wrote:
> --- Philip Armstrong <phil@kantaka.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Dec 28, 2004 at 06:41:38PM -0600, John Lightsey wrote:
> > > First let me say that if anyone would like to take over updating the
> > > dri-trunk-sid packages on a semi-regular basis, I'd really appreciate
> > > it.  I don't track the Debian X or DRI mailing lists closely enough to
> > > keep up with changes.
> >
> > I'd like to, but I'm not sure I have the time. I'll pull the sources
> > over sometime over the new year and take a look.
> >
> This might not be posible untill there is a sutable Xserver avalable !with
> out! using DRI's old xc tree, read below.

The DRI xc tree is dead, it's been folded into the X.Org tree.

> > seams
> > with
> > against
> > > >

> > > This is news to me.  I thought the current recommended way of doing
> > > things was to build an Xorg xserver, glx, and libgl, then build the 3D
> > > drivers in Mesa.
> >
> > Maybe he's referring to embedded Mesa?
> >
> No, the current unofficial pkgs use the OLD xc tree to build Mesa and we
> also need to build X from that tree.  Since the Mesa tree has changed the
> xc tree is now totaly bittroten, with no reason to correct this.  I don't
> think it will be posible to build the Xserver binary w/o using a(read as
> any) xc tree.  The only solution I see is to port the needed, if any,
> changes to a working and maintained xc tree.
>
> When this is done the only problem that remains is the 2d Xdrivers, as I
> woulden't expect any one to pickup the MeargedFB code.

The DRI xc tree has been folded into the X.Org tree, including MergedFB
etc.; it's dead.

> I think with little effort the Mesa tree can be made to build a wider
> veriaty of Xdrivers since currenty the 3d Xdrivers are built in this tree.

What 'veriaty of Xdrivers' are you talking about, in particular, what's
a '3d Xdriver'? If you mean DDX drivers, I don't think those will ever
build in the Mesa tree.

> I think this is the best way to get the Debian DRI pkgs building again.  I
> would hope that some one familure with Mesa builds would atleast create
> the makefiles and symlinked headers for the 2d Xdrivers to build on.

FWIW, if I had the time to work on those packages again, I'd do it along
the lines of:

      * DRM packages from the directory du jour of the mess that is the
        DRI CVS drm module.
      * libGL and 3D drivers from the Mesa tree (building libGL requires
        adding glxproto.h to the tree though).
      * X server from the X.Org tree.

> The real problem is how to get the changes out of the old xc tree, this I
> can't solve but I know it must be done, if it must be done.

Repeat after me: The DRI xc tree has been folded into the X.Org tree;
it's dead. The...