Re: xprt-xprintorg taking over xprt: now or later?

Hi Drew,
~        my apologize for taking so long in replying to this mail on the
public mailing list.

Drew Parsons wrote:
| Hi X StrikeForce,
|
| We agreed with Fabio in recent past that you will drop xprt completely
| from "xfree86", and that I would take it over via xprt-xprintorg.

Yes and i still believe it is wise to do so.

| We need to coordinate this so you remove your xprt before I provide
| mine.  The plan is that I will rename xprt-xprintorg to xprt, and
| xprt-xprintorg will become a dummy package which depends on xprt.

Yup.

| I need your advice on the timing.  Is this a transition you want to make
| now before sarge goes out, while X is still xfree86?  Or do you want us
| to wait until after sarge once you've brought X.org into Debian?

I think we can safely do it before sarge release, Branden do you have any
objection to this?

| I guess we can do it now.  xprt (xfree86) does not work and Fabio was
| already prepared to remove it now before sarge.

That is very simple to do our side even if i didn't prepare xfree86 for it.
All the commits and comments were done on a xorg sandbox, but there is no reason
not to do it.

| So please let me know if now is the time to trash xfree86's xprt,
| replacing it fully with "my" version.

This just need to be coordinate. It would be enough that we upload xfree86 and in the
same day or max the day after you upload your version of xprt, but i don't see anything
impossible in it.

Fabio

- --
Self-Service law:
The last available dish of the food you have decided to eat, will be
inevitably taken from the person in front of you.