xprt-xprintorg taking over xprt: now or later?

Hi X StrikeForce,

We agreed with Fabio in recent past that you will drop xprt completely
from "xfree86", and that I would take it over via xprt-xprintorg.

We need to coordinate this so you remove your xprt before I provide
mine.  The plan is that I will rename xprt-xprintorg to xprt, and
xprt-xprintorg will become a dummy package which depends on xprt.

I need your advice on the timing.  Is this a transition you want to make
now before sarge goes out, while X is still xfree86?  Or do you want us
to wait until after sarge once you've brought X.org into Debian?

I guess we can do it now.  xprt (xfree86) does not work and Fabio was
already prepared to remove it now before sarge.  The only reason we'd
really want to keep it would be to inspire people to fix it in xfree86,
but history over the last year and a half has put xfree86's codebase
into a somewhat different context...

Also, I have a prerelease upstream version of Xprint (1.0alpha1), based
on X.org 6.8.2.  Roland upstream recommends we put it into sarge, it has
considerable improvements over the current Xprint.  I've tested that it
works on top of our current xfree86.  I think it could make good timing
to put it into debian sarge as xprt, removing the xfree86 version.

So please let me know if now is the time to trash xfree86's xprt,
replacing it fully with "my" version.

Drew

p.s. CC: me if you would, I'm not subscribed to debian-x.