Re: wacom driver patches

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 03:49:28AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> What do you think of the following?:
>
> xfree86 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-9) unstable; urgency=high
> [...]
>   Changes by Fabio M. Di Nitto:
>
>   * Update wacom input driver from http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/ up to
>     version 0.6.4:
>     + Remove now obsolete patch 036_wacom_usb_tablet_update.diff
>     + Add patch 000_stolen_from_sourceforge_wacom_driver.diff
>     + Fix input timeout problems if the device is not connected.
>       No references are available in upstream changelog, but tests do not
>       show this behavior anymore. (Closes: #231837)
>     + Fix compatibility with kernel 2.6 wacom driver. (Closes: #250331)
>     + Add support for Cintiq boards. According to #172526 logs the patch
>       has been included, reworked and cleaned by upstream a long time ago.
>       No references are available in upstream changelog. (Closes: #172526)
>     + A combination of new kernel, xfree86 and wacom driver appears to have
>       fixed the APM resume issue as described in #80140. Tests done
>       on a powerpc laptop do not show this problem anymore.
>       No references are available in upstream changelog. (Closes: #80140)
> [...]
>  -- Fabio M. Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net>  Thu,  9 Dec 2004 17:14:45 +0100

Thanks!  I think this is the Debian I love to work for.  ;-)

0.6.6 has subsequently been released, the most major X related change
appears to be support for the auxiliary input pads on intuos3 tablets.
(i.o.w, it would be nice to have for people who have one, but exposes
 nothing critical that would prevent releasing the above without it)

I'm working on a kernel package that works with 2.6 which should also
be upload soon, and then I should have a little more time to turn my
attention to the userspace support ...

> > If there is an established procedure, I'll be happy to fall into step, if
> > not, what is the best thing to do here?
>
> The procedure is basically to submit patches to this mailing list
> (preferably as part of a bug report so it's easier to keep track of them)
> that apply cleanly to the XFree86 Subversion repository.

at which point I guess I'll burn half my harddrive off to dvd and dedicate
a couple of days worth of bandwidth to checking this out ;)
Upstream has quietly expressed some discomfort with the existing XInput
driver, and I'm interested in the idea of a 'generic' one that attaches
to anything reporting events via the kernel input core...

I've wanted an excuse to play with subversion for a while anyway.

> The HACKING document at <URL:
> http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/HACKING.txt > has more
> information, though it's not as complete as I'd like.

It's already more than I'll remember on a first pass of reading it,
so I'll post a patch for any whuffo traps I step in that it doesn't
mention too.

cheers,
Ron