Re: wacom driver patches

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 04:30:59PM +1030, Ron wrote:
> I've packaged and uploaded a wacom-tools package (still NEW in incoming)
> containing some diagnostic tools and automation for rolling a kernel
> modules package from the source being developed at linuxwacom.sf.net.
>
> They also have patches for wacom_drv.o which appear to be useful and
> which I would like to somehow make available to Debian users.  The ideal
> for me of course, is that I convince you to accept them into the Debian
> packages and work them that way toward the appropriate upstream.  I'd be
> happy to filter and massage them to suit our packages if need be.
> Otherwise I'm not sure how else would be a good way to distribute this as
> an 'external' module to our X packages.

What do you think of the following?:

xfree86 (4.3.0.dfsg.1-9) unstable; urgency=high
[...]
  Changes by Fabio M. Di Nitto:

  * Update wacom input driver from http://linuxwacom.sourceforge.net/ up to
    version 0.6.4:
    + Remove now obsolete patch 036_wacom_usb_tablet_update.diff
    + Add patch 000_stolen_from_sourceforge_wacom_driver.diff
    + Fix input timeout problems if the device is not connected.
      No references are available in upstream changelog, but tests do not
      show this behavior anymore. (Closes: #231837)
    + Fix compatibility with kernel 2.6 wacom driver. (Closes: #250331)
    + Add support for Cintiq boards. According to #172526 logs the patch
      has been included, reworked and cleaned by upstream a long time ago.
      No references are available in upstream changelog. (Closes: #172526)
    + A combination of new kernel, xfree86 and wacom driver appears to have
      fixed the APM resume issue as described in #80140. Tests done
      on a powerpc laptop do not show this problem anymore.
      No references are available in upstream changelog. (Closes: #80140)
[...]
 -- Fabio M. Di Nitto <fabbione@fabbione.net>  Thu,  9 Dec 2004 17:14:45 +0100

> If there is an established procedure, I'll be happy to fall into step, if
> not, what is the best thing to do here?

The procedure is basically to submit patches to this mailing list
(preferably as part of a bug report so it's easier to keep track of them)
that apply cleanly to the XFree86 Subversion repository.

The HACKING document at <URL:
http://necrotic.deadbeast.net/xsf/XFree86/HACKING.txt > has more
information, though it's not as complete as I'd like.

> I'm not (yet) on this list, so please cc for now,

Done.

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 03:04:20PM +0100, Fabrice LORRAIN (home) wrote:
> My skimming over tablet-PC site lately, leaves the impression that this
> driver/tools are a must to get any support of this kind of hardware.
>
> I'm interressed for this to get in, because I might need it soon.
>
> Any comment from the XTF people ?

Does this message count?  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The National Security Agency is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      working on the Fourth Amendment