Re: DPI, font size, and Debian

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 17:03 +0100, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:

> I would not like to have my screen projected with 1/2 inch (or 1 cm or
> whatever galactic leagues) letters high. In fact, I do not want to know
> the dpi of my projector (which varies according to the distance between
> it and the wall, anyway).

I realise that a lot of people in the course of their work will have to
use projectors and hence want that case taken into account. However, as
you rightly say, the projectors DPI matters little in real life. Most
projectors insist on being fed 800x600 or 1024x768 screen size (the ones
I have come in contact with anyhow).

> So I would have to lie about the DPI of my projector, should it ever
> communicate with my X server. I certainly do not want fonts based on a
> resolution of 5-20 dpi (which is approximately what you get with a
> projector).
>
> So what people want sometimes is measure in pixels (this is the case of
> the font/widget rendering, and the case when the screen is a projector),
> and sometimes points/cm/inches (this is the case of the graphics rendering).

Perhaps I am a bit partial, but I would very much like the system to
take type-setting, graphics rendering and printing heavily into
account.

Rgds,

--
Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.com>