Re: DPI, font size, and Debian

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 11:49:12PM +0900, Mike Hommey
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:26:38AM -0600, Billy Biggs
> >   3. DPI becomes more complicated given different display devices such
> >      as data projectors.
>
> I don't see why. The only problem that could happen is that when
> plugging in the new display, X doesn't know instantly that the dpi
> changed.

I would not like to have my screen projected with 1/2 inch (or 1 cm or
whatever galactic leagues) letters high. In fact, I do not want to know
the dpi of my projector (which varies according to the distance between
it and the wall, anyway).

So I would have to lie about the DPI of my projector, should it ever
communicate with my X server. I certainly do not want fonts based on a
resolution of 5-20 dpi (which is approximately what you get with a
projector).

So what people want sometimes is measure in pixels (this is the case of
the font/widget rendering, and the case when the screen is a projector),
and sometimes points/cm/inches (this is the case of the graphics rendering).
--
JCD