Re: DPI, font size, and Debian

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 16:20 +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 09:19:25PM -0600, Billy Biggs <vektor@dumbterm.net> wrote:
> >   The GNOME system has the nice property that it can be changed without
> > restarting X.  Moving towards systems with this property is a good
> > thing.  GNOME also advertises it in a vendor neutral way (XSETTINGS) and
> > sets the Xft X resource so that other applications use its DPI value, so
> > it seems like it is going in the right direction.
> >
> >   Regardless, my proposal is simply to have Xft always default to 96
> > DPI, independent of the DPI value you put in X.
>
> Are you telling me you are wanting to force all my Xft applications to
> use a 96 dpi display while I explicitly configured X to use 112 dpi ?
> I firmly oppose to that.

No, he said he wanted to make Xft applications default to 96 DPI.
Nothing stopping you from tweaking the Xft.dpi value to what you want it
to be.

I think that he has a good proposal. If Xft.dpi defaults to 96 DPI, but
it is easy to tweak to what I want it to be once I log in, that is good
enough for me.

Rgds,

--
Anders Karlsson <anders@trudheim.com>