Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 06:37 +1000, Daniel Stone wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 10:22:42PM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto
> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Jul 2004, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > >
> > > If I decide and propose something, will you upload it tomorrow?
> >
> > No, and you know that. it would still go trough the priority list, commit,
> > review and test. And you know as much as we do how much time it takes that
> > process. If you want to question the time we take to include things that's
> > a separate argument. If you want to question that we do not accept
> > anything than sorry but you know that is not true.
>
> The point I was making was that there is a group with significantly more
> power than everyone else, and the ultimate gatekeepers of Debian in X.
> If this is not true, and I'm part of the XSF, can I start uploading
> again?

What's that fixation of yours about uploading? I like to consider myself
part of the XSF (although ATM I can only contribute very little due to
my diploma thesis unfortunately), but I've never felt even the slightest
urge to do an upload. If you aren't happy with the job Fabio does as
release manager, I suggest you just express your opinion about that.

> > Clearly there is some minimal filtering. We are not patch-o-matic robots.
> > And we take responsabilities for the changes we introduce. Personally if i
> > don't feel to comfortable in applying a patch, i rather prefer to check it
> > twice before inclusion. Specially because we will have to maintain it
> > during the time.

Sounds good, but as a matter of fact, the last couple of uploads all
contained more or less brown paper bag bugs. It would be nice if those
could be dealt with even more promptly, or even better prevented from
happening in the first place. :)