Re: Future of X packages in Debian

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 04:31:58PM -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:49:44PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:02:50AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > > Our questions to the community are:
> > >
> > > * What kinds of X packages would you like to see in the future?
> >
> > Working ones. With as few (upstream and debian-specific) bugs as
> > possible.
> >
> > Case at hand: I have yet to see the first XFree86 (server|module) and
> > graphics board combination that
> > * supports the full potential of the board
> > * does not reproducably receive SIGSEGV
> > * is free
> >
> > This is, of course, not the fault of the Debian X strike force, but it's
> > painful none the less.
>
> I don't think that Fabio's message was an invitation to complain about X,
> but a request for input on maintaining Debian's X packages in the future.

I know, and I gave input. The above was an example to explain my point,
not a complaint (if I thought I had to complain, I'd have done so a long
time ago).

The point was that I think if there's two competing X implementations,
the X strike force should choose the one with the highest quality, not
the one with the most features.

--
         EARTH
     smog  |   bricks