Re: Question about old XFree86 modules in Debian

Thanks for your reply.  I am not subscribed to the debian-x list, and
was not quite sure which was the appropriate list, but now I know.

I have embedded my answers to your questions.

David

On Friday 18 June 2004 12:04, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> Hi David,
> 	it is always a good idea to redirect these requests to the mailing
> list since other people can answer if i am not available, plus they will
> be recorded and other users with the same question as your can find easily
> an answer.
>
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, David Goodenough wrote:
> > Fabio,
> >
> > I have a question about old servers from XFree 3.x now that 4.x is taking
> > over in testing, and therefore soon in stable.  I have a machine with an
> > old S3 adapter for which the server has not been ported, and so I use the
> > one from 3.x.
>
> Which chipset are we talking about?
S3 86c864.

> > But that is no longer available in unstable (which I run on this
> > machine) so I have to fetch this server from stable.  Is there any
> > possibility of packaging up these old drivers and making them available
> > alongside the 4.x packages on unstable, and therefore testing?
>
> I am not sure 100% but perhaps it is possible.
>
> > This should not involve any new work, just copying the old server
> > packages from stable and keeping them on unstable.  Until the interfaces
> > change they should not even need rebuilding.
>
> Unfortunatly it is not that easy. A package in the archive requires a
> source that can be built. Just copying the package won't work.
Yes, perhaps the old sources need to be kept to?  The problem I guess is the
number of other bits that would only be needed to keep these compiling.