Re: Question about old XFree86 modules in Debian

Hi David,
	it is always a good idea to redirect these requests to the mailing
list since other people can answer if i am not available, plus they will
be recorded and other users with the same question as your can find easily
an answer.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, David Goodenough wrote:

> Fabio,
>
> I have a question about old servers from XFree 3.x now that 4.x is taking over
> in testing, and therefore soon in stable.  I have a machine with an old S3
> adapter for which the server has not been ported, and so I use the one
> from 3.x.

Which chipset are we talking about?

> But that is no longer available in unstable (which I run on this
> machine) so I have to fetch this server from stable.  Is there any possibility
> of packaging up these old drivers and making them available alongside
> the 4.x packages on unstable, and therefore testing?

I am not sure 100% but perhaps it is possible.

> This should not involve any new work, just copying the old server
> packages from stable and keeping them on unstable.  Until the interfaces
> change they should not even need rebuilding.

Unfortunatly it is not that easy. A package in the archive requires a
source that can be built. Just copying the package won't work.

Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.