Re: Start preparing -3

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 04:11:43AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> > Hi all guys,
> > 	first of all my apologizes for disappearing after the upload but i
> > have been dragged away from my laptop and got drunk ;)
>
> That's all right, I'd have done the same if I were down there in Brazil.
>
> If.
>
> :(

We miss you here.. :(

> Per our discussions today in IRC, this is now on the SVN trunk.
>
> > -1 was an ok release and i expect -2 to be the same. so for -3:
> >
> > -> fix whatever problem comes out from -2 <-
>
> Yeah, like the NumLock fuckage, already tested, committed to the trunk,
> and merged onto the branch.

Yup and that's great!

> However:
>
> 1) I need to know what you want -3 to consist of.  Just the NumLock fix
>    and Indy/Indigo2 debconf fixes, or should we add more to it?  We seem
>    to have gone back and forth a bit on IRC.  Let's make a decision.
>
> Once 1) is decided, we'll know whether 2) applies to -3 or -4.
>
> 2) There are some other bugfixes I've added to the TODO list that I'd
>    like to work on.  Those that already have patches are particularly
>    attractive.
>
> Specifically, I'd like to nominate the following:
>
> * #237583: xlibs: BKSL key doesn't work when 'us' is one of multiple layouts;
>   patch in upstream CVS by 2003-12-18
>
> * Merge Josh Triplett's clean-room reimplementation of post-#187 changes to
>   XTerm in XFree86 CVS.
> * Upgrade XTerm to #190.  Check for changes pulled from XFree86 CVS and deal
>   with them appropriately.
>
> * #236187: xserver-xfree86: [ati/r128] xscreensaver screenhacks lock system
>   ('(EE) R128(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...') on Rage 128 RE/SG rev 0
>   + Apply patch from Dan Jacobowitz.
>
> The above appears to be driving Rage 128 people bonkers.
>
> * #247387: xlibs: Can't type numbers with AltGr with /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/lt
>   key map
>   + Apply patch by Mantas KriauÄ?iÅ«nas via Vytautas Lukenskas.
>
> * #225526: Fix PCI domains / Mach64 cards on SPARCs running Linux 2.6.  Apply
>   patch from "the Gentoo SPARC folks" -- would be nice to find out who they
>   are.]
>
> And this one is driving some SPARC people nuts.
>
> * Apply "other half" of SPARC 64-bit avoidance patch to Mesa; see #241331.
>
> * #233839: Move usr/X11R6/man/man3/XDeviceTimeCoord.3x from libx11-dev to
>   libxi-dev.
>
> I plead especially strongly on this one, as it is my fuckup rather than an
> upstream problem, and I very much want to fix it.
>
> ...and if Ben Collins can be awakened:
>
> * #245246: Apply hot pokers to Ben Collins until we extract a working patch for
>   XAA and Render support for the sunffb driver.  Mmmm, burning manflesh...
>
> If you could give me your thoughts on each of the above, and work with
> me to prioritize all of these items, I'd appreciate also.

Ok let's destroy my -3 plans.

Let's do the -3 with the NumLock and SGI fixes today plus the fix for "I
very much want to fix it" ;).

We will keep all the other stuff for -4. I am perfectly open to accept all
your suggestions and move my original plan for -3 to -5.

I will take care of review all the details for -4 as soon as we have -3 in
upload.

Thanks
Fabio

--
<user> fajita: step one
<fajita> Whatever the problem, step one is always to look in the error log.