Re: Start preparing -3

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 04:11:43AM +0200, Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
> Hi all guys,
> 	first of all my apologizes for disappearing after the upload but i
> have been dragged away from my laptop and got drunk ;)

That's all right, I'd have done the same if I were down there in Brazil.

If.

:(

> Branden thanks a lot for following up after the upload.

No problem!

> -2 should have hitted the mirrors a few hours ago (if my brain time
> setting isn't totally gone thanks to the jetlag).
>
> + #249614: xserver-xfree86: [debconf] autodetect SGI Indy and Indigo2
>    systems
>
> Branden, i would really love to fix this problem ASAP. We have a SGI Indy
> here at debconf4 that we can use to build and test the fix. If you think
> that we can't make it in time for debconf4 than we wil include with all
> the other debconf fixes (that are anyway in this plan).

Per our discussions today in IRC, this is now on the SVN trunk.

> -1 was an ok release and i expect -2 to be the same. so for -3:
>
> -> fix whatever problem comes out from -2 <-

Yeah, like the NumLock fuckage, already tested, committed to the trunk,
and merged onto the branch.

> Time to start working on more delicate tasks:
>
> * Re-do migration of /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/{app-defaults,xkb}:
>
> * Rewrite xserver-xfree86 debconfage.
>
> There is enough for a huge headacke in these 2 items afaict. We will see
> if time will give us the opportunity to do more.
>
> Please comments are welcome as usual.

I agree that those two items have been waiting altogether too long, and
need to be done.

However:

1) I need to know what you want -3 to consist of.  Just the NumLock fix
   and Indy/Indigo2 debconf fixes, or should we add more to it?  We seem
   to have gone back and forth a bit on IRC.  Let's make a decision.

Once 1) is decided, we'll know whether 2) applies to -3 or -4.

2) There are some other bugfixes I've added to the TODO list that I'd
   like to work on.  Those that already have patches are particularly
   attractive.

Specifically, I'd like to nominate the following:

* #237583: xlibs: BKSL key doesn't work when 'us' is one of multiple layouts;
  patch in upstream CVS by 2003-12-18

* Merge Josh Triplett's clean-room reimplementation of post-#187 changes to
  XTerm in XFree86 CVS.
* Upgrade XTerm to #190.  Check for changes pulled from XFree86 CVS and deal
  with them appropriately.

* #236187: xserver-xfree86: [ati/r128] xscreensaver screenhacks lock system
  ('(EE) R128(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...') on Rage 128 RE/SG rev 0
  + Apply patch from Dan Jacobowitz.

The above appears to be driving Rage 128 people bonkers.

* #247387: xlibs: Can't type numbers with AltGr with /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/lt
  key map
  + Apply patch by Mantas Kriaučiūnas via Vytautas Lukenskas.

* #225526: Fix PCI domains / Mach64 cards on SPARCs running Linux 2.6.  Apply
  patch from "the Gentoo SPARC folks" -- would be nice to find out who they
  are.]

And this one is driving some SPARC people nuts.

* Apply "other half" of SPARC 64-bit avoidance patch to Mesa; see #241331.

* #233839: Move usr/X11R6/man/man3/XDeviceTimeCoord.3x from libx11-dev to
  libxi-dev.

I plead especially strongly on this one, as it is my fuckup rather than an
upstream problem, and I very much want to fix it.

...and if Ben Collins can be awakened:

* #245246: Apply hot pokers to Ben Collins until we extract a working patch for
  XAA and Render support for the sunffb driver.  Mmmm, burning manflesh...

If you could give me your thoughts on each of the above, and work with
me to prioritize all of these items, I'd appreciate also.

Also, please feel free to update the TODO on the trunk to reflect your
thoughts.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     Religious bondage shackles and
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     debilitates the mind and unfits it