Re: X Strike Force - some infos missing

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:29:32AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 08:46:06AM -0800, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:20:59PM +0200, Ond?ej Sur? wrote:
> > > could you update your XSF page to include members of XSF?
> > > (The question really is if Daniel Stone and you calmed down and are you
> > > cooperating again :-)
> >
> > I'm very calm. I'll take anyone who cares out for a beer to explain. :)
> > Right now, the only person who is allowed to upload XFree86, according
> > to Branden's rules, is Branden himself.
>
> I've publicly asked for volunteers to manage releases to unstable now
> that 4.3.0 is there.  The time is even more ripe now that it's in
> testing as well.
>
> I hereby renew the call.

Sure - I'll do it.

> > This will change.
>
> By what mechanism do you propose it do so?

Simple. New X packages get uploaded and approved by the ftpmasters. New
source packages, as you're no doubt aware, from having read my repeated
proclamations on the fact.

> > > And if you could put some semi-official statement on XSF page about next
> > > development of X in Debian (freedesktop vs. Xorg vs. X(nolonger)free86)
> > > it would propably save few questions on list... (Well it would be
> > > interesting to see what will happen next even in normal state of things)
> >
> > freedesktop.org's xlibs/xserver/xapps will be uploaded after sarge, with
> > a maintainer team of myself, Keith Packard, Jamey Sharp and others; this
> > will replace XFree86.
>
> Where is this work being done, and do you plan to use this mailing list
> to coordinate the effort?

On Feb 10th, OFTC #debian-devel:
23:44 :::: DanielS changed the topic of #debian-devel to: DPL2004
Nomination period now open - http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_001 |
Debconf4 registration open: http://www.debconf.org/debconf4/register |
please read http://people.d.o/~daniels/xlibs.html, feedback to DanielS

That topic stayed on both OFTC and OPN for quite some time, and I
explicitly pointed that URL out to you in personal email. More recently,
Jamey Sharp has been doing Debian packaging work within the
freedesktop.org CVS tree.

If you don't bother reading the email I send you, it's really not my
problem.

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org