Re: xorg vs. xlibs/xserver/xapps?

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 05:35:52PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> To switch to a technical question
> What are the differences between XOrg's monolithic tree and
> freedesktop.org's modular trees?  Are they basically the same code apart
> from the (large) configuration differences, or is one behind/ahead of the
> other regarding drivers, core functionality, etc.?
>
> For instance, I know that XOrg has basically all the XFree86 4.4
> functionality in it (they're advertising it).  I have no idea whether the
> modular freedesktop.org trees have the same collection of code merged in
> (or whether they intend to).  (I hope so.)  Any idea?

The actual codebases don't diverge too much, except we have more radical
plans, such as using libdl for our loader (while retaining XFree86-ELF
capability).

--
Daniel Stone                                                <daniels@debian.org>
Debian: the universal operating system                     http://www.debian.org