xorg vs. xlibs/xserver/xapps?

Daniel Stone wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 06:51:03PM +0300, Dan Korostelev wrote:
>>  Is there any plans to replace XFree86 with XOrg
>> (http://freedesktop.org/Software/xorg), which is actually a fork of
>> XFree 4.4 with free licence.
>>
>> Sorry for my english. Bye.
>
> No, but there are plans to replace it with freedesktop.org's modular
> xlibs/xserver/xapps trees, to make it far easier to maintain.

To switch to a technical question
What are the differences between XOrg's monolithic tree and
freedesktop.org's modular trees?  Are they basically the same code apart
from the (large) configuration differences, or is one behind/ahead of the
other regarding drivers, core functionality, etc.?

For instance, I know that XOrg has basically all the XFree86 4.4
functionality in it (they're advertising it).  I have no idea whether the
modular freedesktop.org trees have the same collection of code merged in
(or whether they intend to).  (I hope so.)  Any idea?

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/