Re: XFree86 4.3.0 and testing (was: when will the release release)

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 06:39:47AM -0800, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 02:18:03PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 11:42:30PM -0800, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > Kamion said the only thing holding it up yesterday was an RC bug, which
> > > I promptly downgraded; if it didn't go in today, I expect that will be
> > > because of the new sppc upload, making it a transitive problem.
> >
> > Please don't forget to upgrade the bug again later.
> >
> > Downgrading RC bugs for getting a package into testing sometimes has the
> > effect that the then non-RC bug gets forgotten later [1].
>
> I downgraded it because it is NOT A VALID RC BUG IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I'd say a bug in a library that causes segfaults in programs is a good
candidate for being RC.

I know that XFree86 with nearly 200 important bugs has other rules for
RC bugs than the rest of Debian, and it's a different question what to
do with such bugs if they are hard to fix, but at a first glance the bug
in question that includes both an analysis of the problem and a patch
seems to be an example of a perfect bug report.

And I have to admit I don't fully understand the, ahem, very descriptive
subject of yor mail that downgraded this bug.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed