Re: PROPOSAL: re-create branches/4.3.0/sid; release off branch instead of trunk

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:59:34PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:49:11PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > I'm a little frustrated with the rash of FTBFSes and other problems
> > (like the reopening of #215831) that I can't detect on my PowerPC,
> > because they occur in code architecture-specific to i386 or SPARC.
> >
> > I am consequently beginning to see the wisdom in doing what many other
> > projects (other than XFree86 itself) do:
> >
> > * Don't release off the trunk.
> > * Merge only known-working fixes onto a release branch.
> > * Tag releases from the branch, not the trunk.
> >
> > Comments?  If I don't get any, I'll go ahead and do it, but don't let
> > that stop you from expressing your assent, if you feel it.  :)
>
> Sounds good to me. Are you planning on arch-specific branches as a sort
> of top-level thing?

At this point, I don't think that's necessary.  I just don't want
untested patches merged onto the release branch, so I'm not going to
merge anything I can't test.

Anyone alarmed by this (i810/i830/i845/i865 users...) might want to ask
for SVN commit access.  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     "Why do we have to hide from the
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      police, Daddy?"