Re: unauthorized upload of xfree86 4.3.0-1 to unstable

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 01:08:19PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
[...]
>> I did, however, state that I felt that 4.3.0-1 was by far the superior
>> base to work from in sid, for a number of reasons (not least that
>> propagation to sarge would put the XSF in the position of having to
>> maintain two codebases, not three).

> Why do you presume to speak for the entire XSF here?  Maintaining more
> codebases is potentially *good*, not bad.

Hello,
Can you elaborate on that? Simple minded as I am I fail to see the
benefits of maintaining 4.1, 4.2 and 4.3 at the same time (i.e.
tracking bug-reports, fixing serious ones possibly thrice) has, it just
looks like more work.

> A lot of users are interested in a backport of 4.3.0 to woody;
> Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker volunteered to maintain it, but didn't have
> time.  Within the past week or so, Norbert Tretkowski and I spoke on
> IRC, and he'd like to take up that responsibility.
[...]

I fail to see how a 4.3.0 backport is connected to keeping on
maintaining 4.2 for sid. - I actually wanted to snip this paragraph
but wanted to sidestep a "see the part you did not quote" answer. ;-)

           tia, cu andreas