O_SYNC patch -> slow fb memory access

Egbert, Debian folks:

After the release of XFree86 4.3.0, (AFAIK) Egbert Eich commited a patch which set the O_SYNC flag when opening /dev/mem for framebuffer memory access.

This caused memory access to the framebuffer area to become terribly slow on some machines. Among these types of machines are practically all SiS based ones using a shared memory area for framebuffer memory.

It seems the Debian folks have included this patch in their experimental pre1 prerelease, as I experience severe performance regressions compared to plain 4.3 from XFree.org.

Egbert: What exactly did that patch, what file is affected, and when was this reverted (I know it's not in current HEAD)?

Debian packagers: In case you know what I am talking about, please remove this patch from upcoming releases. It's consequences are quite inconvenient: Xv, depending on fast memory access, takes up to 30% CPU time, while this is about 4% without that O_SYNC stuff.

Thomas

--
Thomas Winischhofer
Vienna/Austria