Re: Experiments and Problems with 4.3.0-0pre1v1

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 07:10, Chris wrote:
> I get a very high count of ethernet frame errors whenever 4.3.0 is
> running, with or without DRI enabled.  This was never an issue with
> 4.2.1-X.  The Radeon and 3Com card are sharing an IRQ, but this
> really should not matter.

It might matter with DRI enabled, but then I'd expect the problem to lie
in the ethernet driver. It certainly shouldn't matter with DRI disabled
(is it really disabled though? :) as the Radeon IRQ is unused in that
case.

> I once had the xserver hang when playing around with KDE's GL
> screensavers too.  I would offhand attribute this to the same issue.

That's a long shot. :) Might be a 3D driver bug, see below.

> Option     "EnableDepthMoves"

The source has this comment:

    /* Depth moves are disabled by default since they are extremely slow
*/

> [...] there are numerous GL performance and rendering problems.  Games
> like TuxRacer run at about half the framerate they did back in the
> 4.2.1-X days before Radeon DRI broke from that gcc issue.

Probably a 3D driver bug, see below.

> Also, there are rendering glitches.  The ice in Tuxracer flickers, for
> instance.

This is a tuxracer bug (Z fighting, it should use glPolygonOffset). You
can work around it by setting the RADEON_TCL_FORCE_DISABLE environment
variable.

> When using GL in a window (such as glxgears), text outside the
> window sometimes flickers. (namely icon text on the KDE desktop).

Page flipping problem probably. It's still really a hack and problems
like this are why it's not enabled by default.

> Also, when trying to moving the window, there is a roughly 0.5 to 2 sec. hang before the
> screen updates (depends on how demanding the GL app running is).

If this isn't the depth moves, it might be a 3D driver bug, see below.

> GL Xscreensaver hacks running full screen flicker terribly as if
> refreshes are happening randomly.

The consensus among DRI developers is that this seems to be an
xscreensaver bug, it seems to make bogus assumptions about GLX on the
root window.

About 3D driver bugs: Keep in mind that the 3D drivers in 4.3 are rather
old and no longer actively maintained. Many bugs have been fixed and new
features implemented in DRI CVS, you may want to try
http://dri.sourceforge.net/snapshots/README.Debian (note that the
current dri-trunk-sid packages haven't been built for i386 yet, hint,
hint)