Experiments and Problems with 4.3.0-0pre1v1

I just recently had some time to experiment with the pre1v1 packages on two
machines and so I thought I'd share my results.

Configuration 1:
Debian/unstable (typically updated weekly)
Linux 2.4.21
kernel DRM radeon.o driver version 1.7.0
Athlon XP 1700
ATI Radeon 9000
3Com 905tx NIC

I am still experiencing some unusual behavior that was present in the older
ds* packages as well.  I get a very high count of ethernet frame errors
whenever 4.3.0 is running, with or without DRI enabled.  This was never an
issue with 4.2.1-X.  The Radeon and 3Com card are sharing an IRQ, but this
really should not matter. (it hasn't mattered in the past or in Windoze that
is..)  I once had the xserver hang when playing around with KDE's GL
screensavers too.  I would offhand attribute this to the same issue.

Otherwise, there are some various GL rendering glitches and performance issues
on this configuration as well. (more details under config 2)  I am using the
same radeon options in XF86Config for config 1 as config 2.  These are:

Option     "AGPMode" "4"
Option     "AGPSize" "64"
Option     "EnableDepthMoves"
Option     "EnablePageFlip"

I will be doing some more thorough testing on this machine in the near future,
but I wanted to share my results up to this point and see if perhaps anyone
else has had the same issues.

Configuration 2:
Debian/unstable (updated in sync with Config 1 machine)
Linux 2.4.21
kernel DRM radeon.o driver version 1.7.0
Athlon XP 1600
ATI Radeon 64Mb. VIVO (original Radeon, aka. "7200")
Realtek 8139 NIC

No stability problems on this machine.  However, there are numerous GL
performance and rendering problems.  Games like TuxRacer run at about half
the framerate they did back in the 4.2.1-X days before Radeon DRI broke from
that gcc issue.  glxgears runs at about 1100fps at default window size.
Also, there are rendering glitches.  The ice in Tuxracer flickers, for
instance.  When using GL in a window (such as glxgears), text outside the
window sometimes flickers. (namely icon text on the KDE desktop).  Also, when
trying to moving the window, there is a roughly 0.5 to 2 sec. hang before the
screen updates (depends on how demanding the GL app running is).  GL
Xscreensaver hacks running full screen flicker terribly as if refreshes are
happening randomly.

Maybe I'm missing something.  Or maybe 4.3.0 is just a troubled release.  Does
anyone have their radeon card working perfectly?  If so, what options are you
using?

Chris