4.3 woody backport - recompile from source

Hi,

it seems like the binary driver I got from VIA doesn't fit well with the
package.
This driver is supposed to work for Red-Hat 8.0 so I guess there's an
incompatibility somewhere. Red-Hat 8.0 uses XFree 4.2 and a different
gcc. That may be the problem. X crashes without an explanation:

Fatal server error: Cacught signal 1. Server aborting

The VIA source installation procedure proposes to get the source of the
X server, modify it slightly to add the driver source, compile the
source, and deploy the driver only.

That should make it for me.

But how do I get the source for the version of the code that can be
found at
http://people.debian.org/~mmagallo/packages/xfree86/ ?

there is a source directory, which contains a diff. But a diff to which
version of xfree? Is that Debian's or just the official 4.3.0 release?

I will probably need to get the original source, apply the diff found on
the site, then proceed with the installation as described above.

So where can I find this original source?

Cheers,

J.

--
CoffeeBreaks - Jerome Lacoste