Re: xserver-s3 stoped working?

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 08:25:54PM +0900, ISHIKAWA Mutsumi wrote:

> >> If this is indeed a Trio32, as it semes it is, it should be supported in
> >> 4.2.1-6, which is currently in sid (unstable).
>
>  I believe that XFree86 4.x's s3 driver is only support PCI(or AGP) bus.
>  (e.g S3Probe() in s3_driver.c) So, VL bus/ISA bus card will not work
>  with the driver.

Yep, altough :

http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status29.html#29

claims that :

      All hardware supported in 3.3.6 is also supported in 4.3.0 except
      for the 911, 924, 801, 805, 928, 864, and 868, and versions of the
      964 and 968 that do not use the RAMDAC chips listed above. The
      SuperSavage chipset is supported only in 4.3.0.

The source code of the s3 driver says that :

  /* XXX do ISA later...  some day in the distant future... */

I have the feeling that not much is needed to make the isa bus cards be
supported, so you may ask for it on the xfree86@xfree86.org mailing
list, or even better, start working on this yourself after having read
the DESIGN document. I am not familiar with the s3 driver, nor do i own
ISA hardware, but i have the feeling that it is only an issue of
detecting the isa cards properly, using the xf86MatchIsaInstances, and
maybe some other detection.

If you decide to go this way, i will be glad to help you as i can, and
you can also post at devel@xfree86.org for help.

Friendly,

Sven Luther